Sober living facilities are optional residential group homes for individuals recovering from substance abuse and/ or addiction that are a strictly drug and alcohol-free environment. They provide structure to its residents that are a slight step-down from many standard addiction treatment programs. They afford an individual in recovery the opportunity to continue to practice implementing the lessons learned during his or her treatment program, without being exposed to the triggers that may otherwise present when immediately returning to one’s home environment. Every sober living facility operates with its own set of house rules. To reside in a sober living facility, individuals must strictly abide by the house rules, and meet the expectations that are set forth for its residents, as well as understand that violations will result in consequence and possible dismissal. There is no universal answer to the question of whether visitors are permitted in a sober living home, as each sober living facility is different.
Sober living homes are successful because they can provide its residents with a controlled, safe, drug and alcohol-free environment. While many allow visitors in some capacity, lacking parameters regarding visitors would only expose residents to unnecessary triggers that could compromise their recovery process. The visitor policy will be unique to each sober living home. Examples surrounding visitors that sober living homes could implement may include:
- Designating certain areas within the sober living that allow guests and certain areas where visitors are prohibited.
- Creating visiting hours that allow certain times during the day or week where guests can visit the facility and closed to visitors during all other times.
- All drugs and alcohol are prohibited on the premises of sober living facilities by both residents and visitors; any visitor that breaks this rule will be asked to leave and could be banned from future visits.
- Some sober living homes could simply prohibit the entrance of all non-residents inside its facility and only allow guests to visit outdoors.
- Sober living homes could implement rules regarding open-door policies, where guests and residents cannot visit together behind closed doors.
The policies regarding visitors will be clearly conveyed to each resident and are often included in the house rules of the sober living, to ensure there is no confusion.
For Information and Support
If you are concerned for yourself or a loved one regarding substance abuse and/ or addiction we recommend reaching out for help as soon as possible. If left untreated, substance abuse can result in long lasting and potentially life-threatening consequences. Keep in mind: you are not alone! There is an entire network of professionals that are available to help and support you and your loved one throughout the recovery process. The earlier you seek support, the sooner your loved one can return to a happy, healthy, and fulfilling life.
Please do not hesitate to reach out with any questions regarding our specific program at Haven House Addiction Treatment and/ or general substance abuse and/ or addiction treatment related information. Our highly trained staff is readily available to discuss how we might best be able to help you and your loved one. We can be reached by phone at 424-318-3777. You are also welcomed to contact anytime us via email at email@example.com.