The recovery process from addiction and/ or substance abuse is not linear. It requires a steadfast and long-term commitment to prioritizing sobriety. When an individual has completed an inpatient substance abuse and/ or addiction treatment program, the thought of immediately returning back to one’s home and being faced with home-life responsibilities can be triggering. Sober living homes offer individuals that have recently completed a substance abuse and/ or addiction treatment program with a structured, transitional residential environment. Unlike halfway houses, sober living homes are not governmentally sponsored and they range in price. Each sober living home has its own set of house rules, residential requirements, and offer different amenities.
Where To Start?
The process of deciding which sober living home to pick can be overwhelming, as there are a plethora of options scattered all across the Los Angeles area. The substance abuse and/ or addiction recovery process can be delicate and each step of the process should take the unique needs of each person into consideration. Below are helpful tips to bear in mind that could help ease the process:
- Broad Online search: to become aware of all of the possibilities it can be helpful to research options online. There are several websites that have compiled lists of sober living homes available in the Los Angeles area, such as:
- Know your needs: there are many specialized sober living homes that cater to different populations (e.g. gender specific sober living homes, co-ed sober living facilities, sober living homes serving individuals with a dual diagnosis, etc.). Narrow down your options by weeding out sober living homes that do not specifically meet your needs.
- Understand the cost: while the cost and fees associated with sober living facilities is wide-ranging, in order to reside in a sober living home, the resident will be responsible covering the costs. Make sure you are able to pay for the sober living home you select.
- Consult your treatment program: many substance abuse and/ or addiction treatment programs are able to provide sober living home recommendations to those in need.
- References: in situations where a substance abuse and/ or addiction treatment program is only able to provide unwanted sober living home recommendations, seek references elsewhere.
For some individuals that have completed inpatient treatment programs, the thought of staying away from their family and/ or home lives for a longer period of time may seem undesirable. However, an article published in Journal of Psychoactive Drugs discusses the array of benefits residing in a sober living facility can have in support of one’s continued sobriety.
For Information and Support
If you are concerned for yourself or a loved one in regards to substance abuse and/ or addiction we recommend reaching out for help as soon as possible. If left untreated, substance abuse can result in long lasting and potentially life-threatening consequences. Keep in mind: you are not alone! There is an entire network of professionals that are available to help and support you and your loved one throughout the recovery process. The earlier you seek support, the sooner your loved one can return to a happy, healthy, and fulfilling life.
Please do not hesitate to reach out with any questions regarding our specific program at Haven House Addiction Treatment and/ or general substance abuse and/ or addiction treatment related information. Our highly trained staff is readily available to discuss how we might best be able to help you and your loved one. We can be reached by phone at 424-318-3777. You are also welcome to contact anytime us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.