While there are some differences, sober dating is not all that different from non-sober dating. Of course, some of the dating tactics that may have worked prior to achieving sobriety are likely to be ineffective for an individual reentering the dating game after becoming sober. For some, this can make the dating process seem daunting. Fortunately, there are plenty of ways for individuals in recovery to date, remain sober, and have fun all at the same time. Consider the following tips to set yourself up for sober dating success:
- Self-care: exercising and taking care of your body is imperative, but trying out different exercise classes and/ or joining one or more group sports teams could exponentially expand your dating pool. Don’t limit yourself to one option, allow yourself to be exposed to many different methods of exercise and you may meet someone date-worthy in the process.
- Try speed dating: there are tons of different types of speed dating events out there; sign yourself up for one that is marketed as alcohol-free.
- Try dating apps: nowadays, there are many different dating app options available and some of them include icons that allow members to display whether or not they drink or use cannabis, such as:
- Know your limits: while you are on a date if there is any point that you feel uncomfortable and/ or that your sobriety may be threatened (e.g. your date orders an alcoholic beverage while out to dinner), do not hesitate to advocate for yourself.
- Always give yourself an exit strategy: dating can be unpredictable, and there should not be any shame in ending a date early, with or without reason. Having an exit strategy in your mind before the date begins can give you peace of mind and when the situation warrants can help make your departure relatively seamless.
While dating may seem exciting, prioritizing one’s sobriety is of utmost importance. There is a fine line between making choices that can hinder one’s recovery process and choices that help prolong one’s continued success with his or her sobriety. Remaining aligned with the lessons learned during one’s recovery process and applying them to relationships can help an individual cultivate a healthy relationship that simultaneously compliments his or her ability to achieve sustained sobriety.
For Information and Support
If you are concerned for yourself or a loved one in regards to substance abuse and/ or addiction we recommend reaching out for help as soon as possible. If left untreated, substance abuse can result in long lasting and potentially life-threatening consequences. Keep in mind: you are not alone! There is an entire network of professionals that are available to help and support you and your loved one throughout the recovery process. The earlier you seek support, the sooner your loved one can return to a happy, healthy, and fulfilling life.
Please do not hesitate to reach out with any questions regarding our specific program at Haven House Addiction Treatment and/ or general substance abuse and/ or addiction treatment related information. Our highly trained staff is readily available to discuss how we might best be able to help you and your loved one. We can be reached by phone at 424-318-3777. You are also welcome to contact anytime us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.